Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Bolex shoot

The bolex is by far the best camera I have ever used.  I used it last semester in Shannon’s class and could not wait to use it again in 6x1.  I think both the assignment I had in Shannon’s class and in this one really complimented each other, as we had to split up frames in hers and do in-camera editing, while we had to plan a little more in 6x1.  I’ve never used a film camera other than the bolex, so it was interesting to be able to use it both ways.  I can’t get over how good the richness and textures of the black and white looks.  It makes me sad that we don’t get the same quality from digital cameras, but that’s a whole different topic.

            I think the idea my group went with for this shoot really lent itself well to the idea that we could only use 1 minute of film.  We had to logically compress our plan in order to make sure we captured everything in time, but it was easy to get every action into the film with as much film as we had.  Our shoot went really well, and I still can’t wait until the next time I get to use the bolex. 

No comments:

Post a Comment